DTP Hand In Document

DTP Hand in Document

please click the link above to view the PDF of my final document.

For my final hand in document for desktop publishing I created a 6 page booklet on the Skinhead subculture.

I started by opening a new document in InDesign. I set the page size to A4, the orientation at Portrait and selected Facing Pages. I set the columns to 2 and left the Gutter at 4.233mm. I left the Margins all at 12.7mm and set the Bleed to 3mm.

Next I selected the A-Master page from the Pages Menu to create page numbers and a re-occurring logo for my booklet. To create the logo I used the rectangle frame tool to create a small square at the bottom of the page and selected Place from the file menu to insert the ‘skinhead logo trans.psd’ image. I then selected Fit Content Proportionally from the Object>Fitting Menu so that the image filled the frame properly. I then copied and pasted the image onto the page on the right hand side and aligned it in the same position using ruler guides.

To create the page numbers I again used the rectangle frame tool to create a small square beneath the logo. I then selected the Text (T) Tool and double clicked in the frame. I then went to Type > Insert Special Character > Markers > Current Page Number which then created an ‘A’ character in the frame to represent the page number. I used the type menu to centre the character and change the font to ‘Birch STD’, the font size to ‘19pt’ and then added the ‘-‘ character either side of the A to make it slightly more aesthetically pleasing. I then copied and pasted this frame onto the right hand page underneath the logo so that all the pages would be numbered.

I did not want the page numbers on the front or back page of the document. To change this selected the page I wanted the numbering to start at then made sure that ‘allow document pages to shuffle’ was un-ticked on the ‘Pages’ Menu. I then clicked on numbering and selection options and chose ‘start page numbering at…’

Next I came out of the Master Pages to begin inserting images into my document. I used the rectangle frame tool to create a frame across pages 2-3 and 4-5 right upto the bleed of the pages. I then selected Place from the file menu to insert the ‘brick-stone-wall-grey.jpg’ image as a background for the document. For the front page I followed the same processed but inserted ‘IMG_0171.jpg’ and for the back page I inserted ‘london_tattoo_poster_2014.jpg’ to create an advert that I think fits the theme of the booklet quite well.

To create the heading on the front page of the document I placed a rectangle using the Rectangle tool and set the fill to red. I then used the rectangular frame tool over the top and the type tool to create the heading “Skinhead”. I set the font to ‘Birch STD’, changed the colour to white, increased the font size to ‘125pt’, set the leading at “150pt”, set the horizontal scale at “164%” and the baseline shift to “-35pt”.

I then placed rectangle frames on pages 2, 3, 4 and 5 for my text. I selected place to insert ‘skinhead.txt’ into the first frame. The text was too big for this frame which was indicated by a small red cross in the bottom right hand side of the frame. I clicked the cross to ‘pick up’ the overflowing text and insert it into the next frame. I repeated this process until all the frames were filled with text.

I selected all the text using CTRL + A, set the font to ‘Birch STD’, the colour to white,  the font size to ‘19pt’  and the leading to ‘25pt’. I then right clicked the text, selected text frame options and set the columns to 2. I then set the paragraph style to ‘justify with last line aligned to the left’. To make the text slightly more interesting I selected the first letter of the text and set the ‘Drop Cap One or More Letters’ to 1 and set the ‘Drop Cap Number of Lines’ to 3. I deselected Hyphenate as the hyphenated words made the document look a bit messy. To make the quotes within the text stand out a bit more I highlighted them and set the ‘Skew (false italic)’ to ‘10 °’ as the font I am using doesn’t have an italics option.

I wanted to insert some images within the text so to do this I used the rectangle frame tool to create a box in the middle of the text on page 2. I then used the place tool to insert ‘skinhead boy (1).jpg’ and set the fitting to ‘fill frame proportionally’.  I then selected the Text Wrap window and selected wrap around bounding box and set the left and right margins to 3mm so that the text wrapped around the image and didn’t go behind it. I repeated this process on pages 3, 4 and 5.

I then made the document into a packaged InDesign file, a .pdf file exported as spreads and finally printed a hard copy of my booklet with spreads, printing/crop marks, the cover page and back page printed in colour with the content printed in black and white.